Maine Alternative Routes to Teacher Certification
Conditional Certificate for Elementary Endorsement
(a) Completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, in accordance with Chapter 115 Part I Section 4.4 (see below)
(b) Completed a minimum of six semester hours in each of the following: liberal arts English, liberal arts mathematics, liberal arts science, and liberal arts social studies.
Conditional Certificate for Secondary Endorsement
(a) Earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, in accordance with Part I Section 4.4 of this rule (see below)
(b) Completed a minimum of 24 semester hours in the areas relevant to the 7-12 endorsement being sought.
Chapter 115 Part I Section 4.4:
Any bachelor’s degree, graduate degree, or required semester hours of academic study shall have been earned at an accredited four-year institution. For purposes of this rule, an accredited institution is a college, university, or other post-secondary institution accredited by one or more of the following:
A. One of the six regional accrediting agencies:
1. The New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
2. The Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
3. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
4. The North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
5. The Northwest Association of Secondary Schools and Higher Education
6. The Western Association of Colleges and Schools
B. The National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education
C. Any other national institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as an accrediting authority.