Become a Teacher >> Browse Articles >> Alternate Routes to Certification


Kansas Alternative Routes to Teacher Certification


Restricted Teaching License

Meet the minimum requirements to teach in this state.

The Restricted Teaching License Alternative Pathway* is intended to respond to school districts’ needs in hiring qualified, licensed teachers. It is designed to recruit mid-career professionals who have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a content area they want to teach and who are seeking a career change. This pathway provides an opportunity for these individuals to have immediate access to start teaching under restricted license while completing professional education pedagogy course work to become fully licensed.

*the alternative licensure program is only available for secondary content areas and limited numbers of all level subjects.

Step One: Assess your eligibility

Eligibility-(Must meet all eligibility requirements)

  • A Bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited university
  • The degree must be in a regular education content area you want to teach
  • A cumulative GPA of 2.50 from college coursework completed

Step Two: Contact participating Kansas universities

Have the university hosting the program evaluate your transcript to ensure you meet the content requirements for the subject matter you want to teach. Develop a plan of study with the alternative certification program staff. Program length may vary depending on the institution.

Alternative Route Program Contact List

Step Three: Locate and apply for a teaching position

Locate and apply for a teaching position by visiting Kansas Education Employment Board. Contact the employer and inquire if a restricted license is appropriate for the position.

Step Four: Apply for the Restricted License

The application process is a coordinated effort with sections completed by the individual, the school district hiring the individual, and the higher education institution providing the course work. Once the license is issued, you will teach full-time while completing the required professional education course work towards full licensure.

Step Five: Progress report

A progress report must be submitted every year verifying that appropriate progress has been made towards a full license. During the first year of teaching, your progress includes passing a content assessment. The restricted license will be canceled if you do not make appropriate progress.

Step Six: Apply for a full Kansas license

The institution will recommend for a full Kansas license after you successfully complete all of the coursework and testing requirements on the plan of study.

Additional questions Please contact Sungti Hsu, education program consultant, at 785-291-3573 or

Kansas State Department of Education

Learn more about teaching careers in this state.

Teaching School Finder

Save time in your search for a degree program. Use Teaching's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

* In the event that we cannot find a program from one of our partner schools that matches your specific area of interest, we may show schools with similar or unrelated programs.