Become a Teacher >> Browse Articles >> Alternate Routes to Certification


Hawaii Alternative Routes to Teacher Certification


Meet the minimum requirements to teach in this state.

Special Permit

A one-year Career and Technical Education Limited Duty Special Permit may be renewable annually for no more than five (5) years to an applicant who:

1. Is recommended by the Hawaii Department of Education to provide instruction in career and technical education in Hawaii public schools;

2. Holds a valid trade/industry license or certification, if such a license or certification exists for the trade/industry; and

3. Has completed three (3) years of satisfactory full-time trade/industry experience in the field in which instruction will be offered.

CTE Limited Duty Special Permits may be renewed each year provided the permit holder applies for the permit and continues to meet the requirements of the permit.

Hawaii Department of Education

Learn more about teaching careers in this state.

Teaching School Finder

Save time in your search for a degree program. Use Teaching's School Finder to locate schools online and in your area.

* In the event that we cannot find a program from one of our partner schools that matches your specific area of interest, we may show schools with similar or unrelated programs.