April: Autism Awareness Month
Here are 10 great ideas for activities for this month:
1. Design a proclamation and have it signed by the mayor and school superintendent of your city. Present it at the next school board meeting.
2. Write some public service announcements and get your local radio or TV station to air them.
3. Write a press release for your local newspaper.
4. Each school day in April, someone reads a fact about autism over the intercom to the whole school.
5. Invite legislators for a reception (hosted by your students) and give a short presentation about autism.
6. Give a presentation to the local high school service learning classes.
7. Give a presentation to the local high school key club organization.
8. Give a presentation to the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts.
9. Give a presentation to the Lion’s Club.
10. Have your students make a pocket sized factbook about autism to give to legislators or school board members.
Do you have any other suggestions? Feel free to leave a comment and share it.